Threads – by Barry Hines / BBC Television 1984
Directed by Mick Jackson
A list of documents that I have written over the years on the BBC 1984 nuclear war drama-documetary, Threads:
- References and Bibliography for Threads – A detailed review of the scientific and expert literature used to inform Threads.
- Before Threads there was “QED – A Guide to Armageddon” – this programme was instrumental in bringing Threads to life.
- Effects on Sheffield after Nuclear Attack
- Threads Map – A detailed map showing many of the locations used in the film.
- Crewe – During the timeline of Threads, it is noted that much of the fallout that arrives on Sheffield is caused by a groundburst explosion at Crewe and the prevailing wind blows it North East. This document helps detail why.
- NHS After Nuclear War – My short assessment of the NHS after nuclear war and why Threads depiction of an overwhelmed hospital (lacking water/power/sanitation/medical supplies) was so accurate.
- UK Civil Defence – My notes on Civil Defence during the Threads era.
- Civil Defence Recruitment ads from the 1960s
- Protect and Survive Gallery – some of the behind the scenes material created for the civil defence programme of the same name.
- Dorset County Council Surviving Nuclear Attack – Official advice dating approx 1980/81
- Nuclear Survival Pages from Ceefax, 1980.
- Cleveland After a Nuclear War – a Cleveland County Council document showing the effects of a hypothetical nuclear attack on the Borough. Available as PowerPoint Presentation or Photo Album / MS Sway
- UK Civil Defence films